Saturday, October 29, 2011

Aussie-isms Part Three

Well, folks. I have really only been working non-stop and recovering from a bad case of bronchitis lately, so there aren't many interesting things to report. Luckily, I have been continuing to keep a log of "aussie-isms" I hear along the way that either make me pause, laugh hysterically or ask 5 follow-up questions to truly understand what they mean. Enjoy. I do.


The first set is a mix of sayings or phrases from either Australia or New Zealand. Many of these I picked up while learning about rugby given the Rugby World Cup was kicking off when I had to visit Auckland, NZ on business last month.

  • Esky (in Oz) or Chilly Bin (in NZ) - cooler to keep drinks or food cold. "Grab the chilly bin, throw in some beers and let's go!"
  • Barrack - cheer for or root for. "I barrack for the All-Blacks!"
  • Root - have intercourse with. "I root for/with the All-Blacks" does not mean the same thing in Australia as it does in the US. Learned that one mistakenly.
  • Up's and Under's - food poisoning. I think this is used just in NZ because I learned it there while reading an article about South Africa beating NZ in the Rugby World Cup years ago and no one in Oz knew what it meant. "Oh no, I think I have the up's and under's!!" You can probably figure out why it's called this.

Now for more of a random mix of Australian phrases, words and the like involving the word "crack":

  • Cracker or Bonza - awesome. "That's a cracker footy match."
  • Crack Up - hilarious. "That's a crack-up of a movie.
  • Cracked it - get mad at. "I cracked it at her over that latest antic."
  • Cracked the sads - upset. "I cracked the sads today because I am homesick.

Okay, one last round of randoms:

  • Dummy - pacifier. "I need the dummy for the crying baby."
  • Catching my Train - to fancy or like someone. "He's really catching my train."
  • Chunder - vomit. "I bet he chunders tonight after all that wine!"
  • Offside - be on someone's bad side. "He's offsides to me after his latest misstep."
  • Arvo - afternoon. "Let's meet for a glass of wine this arvo."
  • Yakka - work. "Gotta yakka today even though I'd rather be at the beach
Dad and Hilary, study up for your trip in January!!
Until next time....xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment