Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Street Market to End All Street Markets

After a full day of elephant riding, I was exhausted. Really exhausted. Riding on the back of a 2-ton creature through the mountainous jungle and then frolicking in the mud and river water is no easy feat. BUT, Chiang Mai is known for its Sunday walking street market. AND, nothing really ever holds me back from some serious shopping. 


So, Christian and I quickly freshened up upon our return to the hotel and hit the markets - big time. I really do love a local market. It gives an interesting and authentic perspective on how locals live - and this did not disappoint. A solid three hours of exploration took us easily past 1000 stalls (with very few repeats). There were arts & crafts, shoes, clothing, trinkets, street performers and more. What I loved the most were three things: 1) the food stalls which offered a very wide variety of local flavor, 2) the 30-minute foot massage that cost only 100 baht (US$3) and 3) the large percentage of locals vs. tourists. It was quite clear that this was the place to be in Chiang Mai.


The markets were a wonderful way to end our day in this charming little city. And the pho (for 35 bhat or US$1) to finish the evening didn't hurt either. The best way to convey how delightful the markets were is to share pictures from the evening. Here are a few of my favorite snaps:
Beautiful.
My delicious pho. 
Pop of colors!
Bells from the temple.
I love the colors and how old-fashioned the shoes look.
Me overlooking the markets
These lighted globes were quite popular!
While I appreciate the local flavors, I did not partake in the cricket eating. 
Fresh pork or beef balls. Hard to tell which! 
Lovely little street performer
This little dude was talented! Guitar playing and hula-hooping simultaneously. He had the best smile.
Until next time....
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment