Saturday, June 30, 2012

See You Soon, Sydney

After an incredible trip to Thailand and Cambodia, I returned to Sydney with one week left in my year-long adventure of living in Australia. It was hard to believe that a full year had passed and it was time to head home. admittedly had mixed feelings about it.

In many ways, I could not wait to live in my condo again with all my personal belongings and of course my dog, Fletcher. I was so excited to see my family, Patrick and friends. I couldn't wait for the normal everyday things - eating queso dip and drinking margaritas over catch-up's with the girls, walks to Starbucks with Inna, doggie date nights with Tammy/Ike, BourbonSteak dinners with P, road trips to Chesapeake and so much more....

In other ways, I was sad. The friends I made in Sydney are so special to me; those friends became family to me. We spent holidays together and shared both old and new traditions. Many of us were lonely at times and far from family and others were Aussie born and bred, but all of us were together and there for each other while experiencing cool new things. One of my favorite memories that really wraps it all up so well was TMac and Manders' Thanksgiving party when 30 people brought together that day all sat in a circle and spoke about what we were thankful for... the common theme was the experience of getting to know one another - and ourselves - in this far-away, strange, cool, unique land.

It was with a bit of reticence that I went into that last week. As I slowly packed up my apartment into 5 suitcases (which turned into 6 suitcases when I had to buy a new one -- which was inexpensive (NOT!) -- at the airport because two of my bags were over the weight limit), I made sure to spend quality time with my friends. We had dinners and happy hours, and we laughed and cried. There were antics and shenanigans as well as new memories made. I loved every second.
All of my Sydney-based worldly possessions in 5 suitcases...pre-airport on 27 February 2012
Two days before 'leaving on a jet plane'*, Tyler organized a boat cruise around Sydney Harbour for the gang. I was so touched not only by everyone coming but also by how special my friends made me feel. We had drinks, music via a special playlist by Nips and perfect weather. At one point, we were docked and swimming with the Harbour Bridge and Opera House behind us, music playing and beers in our hands as we swam in the cool and clear water. Everyone gathered back on the boat and "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond played while we all sang and danced and laughed and cried (or at least I did). It was such a sweet farewell.
A gorgeous day on the Harbour (25 February 2012)
The crew
After the boat cruise, we wanted to keep the party going and enjoy the weather so we sat in Rose Bay Park. Kate introduced us to a Polish drinking game, which ended up being so fun but of course disasterous! Each person had to pour a shot of vodka and dedicate it to someone else, who then had to take the shot (however big it was!). And that cycle continued through at least a few bottles of vodka! We sat for hours, just talking and reminiscing, which I just adored.


I saw this recently and it nailed how I felt, especially towards the end of my time in Sydney: 
With the lifelong freinds I made, I know they'll remind me of how I was. I felt loved for exactly who I am and want to be. To Tmac, Tyler, Dawn, Devin (aka "the bodyguard"), Carly, Manders, Muzza, Crowey, Sam, Niraj, Ben, Alysha, Pam, Kirsten, Nips, Graci, Christy, Leela, JD, Jen, Whitey, Bonner, McKenna, Karim, Damo, Georgie and so many more of you - thank you for making my Sydney adventure one of the very best years of my life. 


xoxo.....
The six suitcases - and Patrick and Dad - upon landing home in Washington, DC
p.s. I plan to continue the blog with stories of my 'repatriation' to the US and future travels!

* Unlike in the song, I do  know 'when I will be back again' to Sydney - for TMac and Manders' wedding in January!

No comments:

Post a Comment