Monday, June 13, 2011

A Vivid Weekend

We had a long weekend in honor of the Queen's birthday. I don't think her birthday is a public holiday in the UK, but it is here in Oz and I was glad for it. Last week was really long and exhausting, so I needed sleep, sleep and more sleep. (Actually, I had hoped to whisk away to either New Zealand or Tasmania for the weekend, but never had a chance to make a booking. Good thing too....both were covered by the ash cloud from the Chilean volcano and poor Christchurch had 2 earthquakes today.)


Friday morning I was up at 5 am for a presentation via conference call for work. By the time evening came, I was done. But then I was invited to an impromptu dinner party at my colleagues and friends' new apartment in our 'hood (Potts Point) and am so happy I went. Devin and Dawn were great hosts to Tyler, Tim, Sam, Najir and me. We drank wine, grilled steak, had a delicious salad and just great conversation. Exactly what I needed after a long week.


Saturday I slept in and just relaxed before dinner and drinks with my friend Tyler. As it turns out, we have a lot in common -- Tyler is from Virginia Beach (town next to my hometown of Chesapeake), also went to UVa and she was in my sorority (just a few years behind me)! We work together, and having traveled to Melbourne together last week, decided to have a girls night out. And did we ever! We had a great time at dinner in the 'hood (a place called Gazebo) and then met other friends (Amanda and Carl, and new friends Paul and Paul) out at Paddo Inn in Paddington. A great time was had by all, and it was really nice to go out with friends and just relax. Needless to say, I may or may not have had a hangover the next day - sigh. (As Christian has said MANY MANY times "I am never drinking again.") Luckily, it was cold and pouring rain ALL day so I did not feel one ounce of guilt about staying in all day!


Today I was a bit more active. This afternoon, Tyler, Dawn, Amanda and I saw the movie Bridesmaids. HILARIOUS!! Going to the cinema in Oz is similar to the US, but also a bit different. It's $20 a ticket (even for a matinee!), you are assigned a seat in the theater and they show tons of local commercials before the previews. Otherwise, pretty much the same. The movie was so funny...I highly recommend. When we left the movie, the skies were clear for the first time in days so Tyler and I were finally able to head to the Harbour for Vivid Sydney, a once-a-year light show. It was truly amazing. The pictures do not even do it justice. The downtown buildings, galleries, Customs House and Opera House all have crazy light installations that were breathtaking and awe-inspiring. Definitely a memory-filled night. Please enjoy a few of the snaps I took....I know I will, for years to come.
Pucci-style lights 
Simple yet beautiful lights 
Zebra-style lights 
Missoni-style lights

Jellyfish
Until next time.....xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment