Thursday, September 22, 2011

Old Friends in a New Place

Ah, Singapore. Just before and for several days after my trip to Thailand, I spent time working in Singapore. Our firm opened the Sydney office within which I work four years ago, and our Singapore office over a year ago. Given our focus on rapidly expanding our business into Asia, my boss Christy elected to hold our annual leadership offsite in our Singapore office. It was a great few days. But let me take a step back, as I have an emotional history with this island city/state.


For those who do not know much about this fascinating place, I'll provide a bit of history. Singapore is derived from the malaysian word Singapura, or Lion City. It was first settled in the 2nd century AD but existed in obscurity until 1816 when Thomas Stamford Raffles landed and signed a treaty with the ruler on behalf of the East India Trading Company to establish it as a British trading post. It passed between British and Japanese hands a few times before declaring independence in 1963. Under independent power, it rapidly developed as one of the most advanced powerhouse economies of Asia. Singapore now has some 5 million residents, over half of Chinese, Malay or Indian descent. Over a third of residents actively practice Buddhism. It has 4 official languages: English, Chinese, Malay and Tamil. The World Bank has rated Singapore as the easiest place in the world to do business. Lastly, it has a rainforest climate with no distinctive seasons. In other words, it is HOT and HUMID every day of the year!!


My emotional history with this city/state dates back to 2003. I was visiting Australia on business, and then had a week in Singapore for more business. I was excited to make my first trip to Asia, and experience a completely different business culture at such a young age. From the Sydney airport before my 9-hour flight to Singapore, I called my sister Hilary and learned that my beloved grandmother "Sparkie" had passed away.  I can't begin to describe the sadness I felt....Sparkie was an amazing woman - independent, cultured, a world-traveler and SO chic. I adored her. In tears, I boarded my flight to Singapore, cried the entire way, and then in a haze worked for a week in Singapore. I took time to visit the Chinese markets, the national orchid gardens and the designer shops, all in ode to my grandmother who loved her Asian travels.  I left Singapore with a heavy heart, and sad memories.


My return was much happier. One of the reasons is because there are many of my favorite colleagues who have led the founding and development of our Asian business - Melissa, Jake, Jonathan, Tasneen, Saagar, Barlow, Michelle, Laura, Joel.  So through a lot of long working days, I was able to enjoy fabulous dinners and catch-up's with old and dear friends. Day one was a visit to Melissa and Sean's home to finally meet Miss Cricket (Charlotte Louise Bailey). What an adorable and happy child! My first night was an outdoors dinner at PS Cafe @ Harding with Michelle Kerner. Night Two was dinner at the Jackson Plan - a British gastropub with delicious cocktails - in Duxton Hill with Laura Foster and Joel Whitaker. The final night was a yummy, fancy dinner with our leadership team at 1 Altitude, with amazing top floor views of all of Singapore. 
The Singapore cityscape from way up high! 
Team Dinner
Our CEB office building...1 Raffles Place
Interestingly, Singapore has changed so much since I was last there, which was fortunate in that it helped me avoid sad memories and make happy new ones. There are American brands everywhere! The women are so fashionable with sky high heels and pencil skirts. The food is amazing, from the food stalls to the high-end restaurants. And the business is fascinating.


One last thing about Singapore that I find to be so charming is how centered it is around food. So much so that when someone intends to ask you how you are doing, they say "Have you eaten yet?"  It truly means 'how are you?', which in their mind equates to whether or not you have eaten recently. Hey Pops, reminds me of you! :)


I feel lucky to have a great group of friends in a place so far and different from home. I can't wait to return and see them again. Jake, Barlow and Saagar, that means an authentic Singa night out with you!


Until next time...xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment