Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Tale of Two Cities - Part I

One of the reasons I was looking forward to moving to Australia was to take advantage of the "close" proximity I'd have to places I'd always wanted to visit. (I say "close" with a hint of sarcasm because Australia is far from everything. EVERYTHING. But I am getting used to 8-9 hour flights being considered short.) As such, I decided to take full advantage of a business trip to Singapore by using the weekend in between to travel to Thailand, a destination I have ALWAYS dreamed of visiting.


The next series of blog posts will be around a theme of A Tale of Two Cities....this first post will highlight my trip to the mountainous beach island of Koh Samui, while the next will focus on its exact opposite - Bangkok.


Koh Samui Beach
Koh Samui is located in the Gulf of Siam and is the second largest island in Thailand. They believe it was first inhabited by fisherman 15 centuries ago. The terrain is beautiful with mountain peaks, jutting limestone, thick jungles and white sandy beaches. It is surrounded by 60 other islands that make up the Ang Thong Marine National Park. The inhabitants survived for many years on fishery and coconut tree farming, but now most work in tourism. Buddhism is the major religion, but southern Thailand is a melting pot of people inclusive of Buddhists, Thai Chinese, Muslims and traditional sea-faring gypsies. Everyone I met was peaceful, friendly and kind. While the word "ko" means island in Thai, it remains a mystery as to what "samui" means. Many think is derives from the Malay word Saboey, which means "safe haven". I can attest that it is indeed that.
One of the views from the Four Seasons
The beach at the Four Seasons 
I decided to treat myself and spend the 2 days I had staying at the Four Seasons. I have never before - and will likely never again - experience a more beautiful or luxurious setting. The pictures will never do it justice. The rooms were actually mountainside villas, each with a private plunge pool, large porch and incredible views of the ocean and neighboring islands. Everywhere I looked I saw fresh, brightly colored flowers, gecko lizards and smiling Thai faces. I was greeted at every turn with a "Sa-wat-ee-ka", which means hello in Thai. And the food was absolutely incredible.


The spa rooms were similar...to get to my private spa villa (I can't believe I am even saying that...but it's true), I traversed up and down many many stairs, which took me into a jungle along the side of the mountain with views, once again, overlooking the sea. My treatment involved a Thai massage (where the lady stands over you on the table and proceeds to stretch you here to there and everywhere in between) and then a deep pressure point massage using a handful of muslin local oil/herbs which were gathered into a muslin-covered ball, heated to a high temperature and then rubbed into my sore muscles. Thanks to my friend Stephanie for the recommendation for what was quite simply the BEST. MASSAGE. OF. MY. ENTIRE. LIFETIME. SO. FAR. Another highlight was an early morning yoga session, done on a platform perched atop limestone rocks overlooking the beach with a cool morning sea breeze cooling us off. It was intense (ladies in the class compared the pain in one pose to that of childbirth!!), but amazing and I felt ready to go for the rest of the day.
My personal spa villa
Spa treatment preparations
One evening, we headed into 'town', which is called Bo Phut (and Fisherman's Village) and had traditional Thai cuisine at a restaurant called Starfish & Coffee. The curried lobster was by far my highlight; it was perfect, Delicious food enjoyed under the stars with the salty breeze off the water on a gorgeous Thai night. We topped it off with delicious gelato. Indeed, it was probably the best gelato in Koh Samui. But just maybe.

What I loved most was the peaceful beach setting. The sand was cool and smooth, and the water was warm like bathwater but crystal clear. When I looked out at the next island over, I saw layers and layers of endless blue sea and gorgeous reef. And again, the Thai are so charming. I loved when they would deliver ice water and move the umbrella to give me some "shadow" from the sun. I challenged myself and for the first time tried paddleboarding. Needless to say, I AM ADDICTED. I absolutely loved it; I saw colorful fish, beautiful reef and amazing scenery from atop the board, and couldn't have been happier.

Me on the beach in Koh Samui 
Me & my mad paddleboarding skills
All in all, a wonderfully relaxing time with friendly people, amazing food and utterly gorgeous scenery. In other words....heaven.


Until next time...(Bangkok adventures!)
xoxo


1 comment:

  1. Love it!! Sounds perfect.... And when you get back - we can go paddleboarding in the Potomac (or OBX)... I loved it too!

    ReplyDelete