Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spatchcock and Apartment Hunting

How do spatchcock and apartment hunting go together? Well, they don't, really. But both have been on my mind.

Spatchcock. I learned to spatchcock a whole chicken at a great cooking class my girlfriends and I took as part of a wedding shower for our friend Ginger. As I have come out of my jetlag haze, I remembered that at dinner the other night, Spatchcock was on the menu. Out of 11 people, I was the only one who knew it was a preparation for chicken! Plus, it made me miss my girls and brought back fun memories. :)

Apartment Hunting. It's, in short, a real mess here. I think I am slowly figuring out the process. Unfortunately, there are no brokers. This means that my whole idea of just hiring someone to find me a gorgeous pied-a-terre with a view was shot right away. Basically, you look online for places you may like, and then a day before the showings of the properties (which usually occur on Saturday), they post "inspection" times. The times are just 15-minute windows. So you run around like hell to see a bunch of places in small 15-min increments and hope to god there isn't a long line of competitors. I managed to wrangle 2 viewings for tomorrow (Friday) so keep your fingers crossed. Saw one today and it made me wretch. Literally.

Once I find a pad, my anxiety will come down and I can start exploring, taking photos and enjoying the great food and wine here. Until then, I'll keep eating around the corner at what I can only describe as the 'best little Pho house in Sydney'. Such great Vietnamese food.

I miss Fletcher. I miss my family. I miss my friends. I miss Fletcher. But I am here and making the magic happen. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment