Sunday, May 22, 2011

Aussie-ism's - Volume I

What's the point of moving somewhere halfway around the world if you don't learn some new things along the way?  And really, it would be irresponsible to learn these things and not share them. So here is volume I, as I am sure there will be more.


1) Common Terms:
  • Bloke = guy
  • Mate = friend
  • Barbecue = Grill
  • Bogan = Australian redneck
  • Biscuit = Cookie (and TimTam's are by far the best)
  • Crikey = Darn it
  • Shattered = Very tired
  • Trading Hours = Store Hours (I love this one...reminds me of what would be outside of Jacob Marley & Ebenezer Scrooge's counting house in A Christmas Carol)
2) Everyone here is obsessed with "sport", which I love. And inevitably, the sport is "footie". What is important to understand is that there are 3 (that I know of) types of footie they could be referring to, and the easiest way to identify which one (short of just asking, but where is the fun in that?) is to understand where someone is from or has lived:
  • Footie = Soccer if you are from Britain (Aussies call it soccer)
  • Footie = Rugby if you are from Australia except...
  • Footie = Australian Rules Football if you are from Melbourne
Don't ask me the difference between the second and third types of footie. I haven't figured that out yet.


3) Coffee is really important here culturally. As I have mentioned, there is a coffee shop or kiosk every 15 meters or so. No joke. What I have learned is that each person has their favorite coffee spot and does not stray from it. Coffee purveyors here pride themselves on building personal rapport with their customers, as it is what differentiates them. And coffee here is strong. Very.


Side note. The little coffee place/cafe underneath my flat called Room 10 is one of my favorites. The coffee is really yummy. What I love is that they ask your name and instead of just calling it when your coffee is ready, they instead say "Thank you, Caroline". They knew my name after 2 visits, and still say "thank you" to everyone they hand a coffee too. So cute and charming. AND it differentiates them!


4) A staple here is banana bread. (You can get it anywhere you get coffee.) But no, they don't stop there. They slice it thickly, toast it, and serve it with lemon butter. I know! Ridiculous! Here's a little snap of my coffee and banana bread last Sunday morning from the aforementioned Room 10.


Toasted banana bread with sliced almonds and lemon butter, and my lovely skim latte 
5) Bacon here is not the same as American bacon. (Side note: Those who know me know that I love love love bacon. And sausage. Patties more than links, but really I love both. I love all breakfast meat, actually.) Bacon here is more like grilled pieces of ham, not long strips like USA bacon. It's good, but different. Just know this if you come here and want bacon. I don't want anyone to be shocked.


Like I said, I am learning important things here and thought I'd share them with all of you. You're welcome. Volume II coming soon, I am sure.


Until next time...xoxo

2 comments:

  1. You should bring Bacon Knots to Australia. I would call them Caroline Knots though. :) xo Ginge

    ReplyDelete
  2. take a trip to Melbourne and go to an AFL game at the MCG... I'm sure you'll find some friendly guy(s) to educate you. i prefer the raisin bread with a tiny bit of frosting around the edge - yum! -sean

    ReplyDelete