Saturday, May 21, 2011

A Full Appreciation....

Today was Saturday, 21 May.  Apparently, some folks out there think that today was the end of the world. Well, while Saturday is just starting back home on the east coast of the States, we are almost done with the day here in Sydney and it was a glorious day!! And at least here in Australia, we are still alive & kicking. :)


It's autumn here, and today was 75F without a cloud in the sky. It was truly gorgeous. So I set off for a long walk through beautiful parks (the Domain and Hyde Park), down to Sydney Harbour and Circular Quay, and then another walk through the 'lower park" along the water back to my pad. I may or may not have stopped at the Opera Bar, next to the Opera House, for a glass of champagne at sunset too. And I reflected to myself that I do have a true and full appreciation for being able to live and work in Sydney. I am really lucky and after my rant earlier this week, I am reminded of just some of the very many things I love about living here. 


Me today with the sun streaming in
A small selection starts here:
1) I love walking to and from work every day through a huge, green park with rolling lawns, massive trees, huge colorful flowers and clean crisp air. I see sparkling water and a lovely downtown skyline, and hints around random corners of the Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I also have (re)discovered favorite songs on my iPod with all the walking I do..."Sara" by Fleetwood Mac (best lyric ever..."Down there, in the sea of love, where everyone would love to drown"...so good), "Secret World" by Peter Gabriel,"The House that Built Me" by Miranda Lambert and "Sweet Child O' Mine" by the one and only Guns 'N Roses. Variety is the spice of life!



My view walking home at sunset
2) Sydneysiders are very eco-conscious. They are just not wasteful, and the city is clean and safe. Recycling is big, and reducing "rubbish" is too. I love that people at work use drinking glasses and stainless silverware every day, and avoid plastic utensils and one-use cups as much as possible. It's just part of life here.


3) They don't really use preservatives in food here. As such, food is healthier and doesn't keep for very long. You buy what you need for a short period of time, and use it all. I am definitely more thoughtful about what I eat each week. I am less wasteful as a result, and eat a lot of fruit and salad.


4) People are well-traveled here in Sydney. Aussies, because where they live is so far away from everything, are gypsies. A 9-hour flight is nothing to them. Many folks I have met are world-travelers and love to talk about their experiences, which I love.


5) People are indeed really friendly. I have met some great people, and am lucky to work with an awesome set of Brits (who they call Pommes here), Aussies, and Americans. The office is like a family; I love going to work every day. My work is important to me, and I love that I love it here.


6) I love that I can take a ferry to the beach or take a 10-minute walk to see a beautiful coastline and water. Having grown up near the beach, I just adore being by the water. I find my zen there. :)


I really do like it here. While I am homesick, I am lucky to have this opportunity. I am glad the world didn't end today! (LOL) Lastly, I am hopeful that my friends, the Richter's, have a great day today and get to take their sweet Shaw home today. I am sending prayers for that. And I hope my nephew Thomas's knee is feeling better - he fell at the bus stop. :(


Until next time xoxo


p.s. The intense amount of PDA stills bugs me. There, I said it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Caro-- I love your post-- I haven't been to Australia and your blog makes me want to go! I smiled when I read your earlier post and now this one..... sounds like a bit of the classic culture shock (first the honeymoon, then a dip into "I hate it here", and then eventually shifting into a sense of normal life :)).
    Warm blessings from the other side of the world!
    Sarah V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, if it helps, I've seen a lot of PDA in DC recently too. Its so annoying when you aren't the one doing it!

    ReplyDelete