Saturday, May 28, 2011

I'm Back (I think)

NOTE: I wrote this 2 weeks ago but for some reason it reposted to tonight.


Good gracious. I have been SICK. But, I think I am back (operative word being think). And hope I am not jinxing myself by writing this blog post. But I will not let these germs dominate my life for one more moment, so write on I will.


I have surmised that I had 3 illnesses at once. 
1 - A severe headcold. And this was the full nine yards....cough, congestion, runny nose, earache, body aches, chills, fever. I think I have demolished at least 6-7 large, industrial-sized boxes of tissue, not including one of of my colleague's (thank you Leela!) that I annihilated in only one 3-hour sitting.
2 - A sinus infection. And my sinuses and teeth are all jammed up in my face together, so my whole mouth ached for a solid 2 weeks.


Now, before going on to #3, I pause to explain why I have separated the headcold and sinus infection into two illnesses. Well, my friends, that's because in the whole Australian cacophony of pharmacies and drugstores (of which there are millions), there is no medication that covers both at once. So I have spent the last 2 weeks alternating between the two, waiting for both to slowly ease away. UNREAL.


3 - A stomach bug that hit Sydney. I even saw it on the news. I'll spare you the details. You're welcome.


So anyway, 3 illnesses at once. I've had a lot of time to consider all this, so thanks for bearing with my explanation! Around 4:00 today, all of a sudden, I said (out loud to myself) "Hot dang it, I feel better." Now I still have a runny nose and cough, but I felt well enough to have half a glass of wine (first sip in 2 weeks! a lovely Gruner) and dinner out at an adorable bistro down the road called Lotus. It was awesome...a beautiful tuna sashimi with pickled veggies and fresh wasabi. And I could taste it! I haven't tasted food in 2 weeks. And I am reading a book about Australia by Bill Bryson, who is a terrific writer. The book, which I have wanted to read for years, is called "In a Sunburned Country". It's hilarious, so much so that I was laughing aloud while reading it while I ate dinner. I highly recommend it, but am personally glad I saved it until now as his observations are so uncanny that the book is helping my own come together even better.


Ah, it's the simple stuff, ladies and gents. Here's to health.
Until next time...
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Oh Caro... my congratulations on having that wine and turning a corner. We talked about you last night at Palena and the table was incomplete without you. We all sighed as we commented on our jealousy over your spectacular experience (minus the stomach bug ;)) Love you! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why this reposted to tonight....I wrote it 2 weeks ago!!

    ReplyDelete