Monday, May 30, 2011

The Best Times are Often Unplanned

I didn't have plans on Sunday so decided to strap on my Chuck Taylor sneakers and let the city guide me. The only thing I had on my to-do list was to buy a travel book or two. I set off for a walk across The Domain (a gorgeous park right in the heart of Sydney) into the CBD (central business district) but only after stopping at Room 10 for a flat white, of course. I happened upon Australia's version of Barnes & Noble..it's called Dymocks. I spent about 90 minutes poking around in the travel book section. After deciding which to buy (one on New Zealand and another on Thailand), I then decided to walk away from the big box book store and to buy the chosen books in my neighborhood at the small-time local Potts Point book shop. Along the way back, the sun was starting to set and I took some snaps of Hyde Park and the Domain.....
The beautiful Hyde Park
Entering the Domain
Wooloomooloo Wharf at dusk
I next stopped into the Potts Point bookshop, a charming little shop that reminds me of the travel book shop in the movie Notting Hill. It's tiny with books piled high and into every nook and cranny. I not only bought the two travel guides, but also a book called "Sydney" by Delia Falconer. There is a series being written by authors about their Aussie hometowns, so I bought the newest one written about my new town. I'll let you know how it is.


I then popped into a yoga class, and after feeling reasonably stretched, picked up a vm from office friends telling me to meet them at The Old Fitzroy, a classic British pub in Wooloomooloo. It's just down two steep staircases and one street from my place, so off I went. 
The famous McElhone Stairs, which are very very steep
My friends (Dan, JB and JD) and I were pleasantly surprised to sit front row for a great local band called BhangLassi. They were SO great! We listened to their original music and drank pints of Bostons (ironically, this is an Aussie beer) while the rain poured down. It was a great time, indeed.
Playing the Xylophone...seriously. It rocked. 
So awesome
Some days, the fact that whatever you happen upon and experience is totally unplanned makes the day all the better.


Until next time...xoxo

1 comment: