Saturday, May 14, 2011

Certifiably Chilly!

A few observations of the weather here in Sydney:


1) Since Sydney is in the Southern hemisphere, the seasons are exactly opposite from my home land of the Mid-Atlantic. As such, we are in our autumn season. Most days, it is around 65 and rather mild. It's been raining a LOT since I arrived in May but everyone tells me that will stop....just not sure when. I have been laughing at people (yep, sometimes out loud) and teasing the Aussies in the office because once it settled below 75 every day, winter overcoats, hats, and scarves were broken out. Meanwhile, it's downright balmy for my blood and I was loving every second. I even convinced myself that it was foolish to bring an overcoat with me.


Weeeelllll, I now admit it's chilly. Especially this week, and I am not sure why. We had our coldest morning in May in over 14 years this past week. Awesome. The daytime never got below 55 or 60, but the breezes off the ocean were chilly and there is no real humidity, so it's chilly. Not enough to wear a jacket, except at night, but enough to wear a scarf and not leave the house with wet hair. So now the Aussies are laughing at me....


2) They are keenly aware that the Northern Hemisphere is in its springtime, and often call wintertime the "Northern Summer". No one in the States would even think to call our summer the "Southern Winter".  It just wouldn't happen. But then again, Aussies are keenly aware of so much about the US - our politics, celebrities, TV shows (especially reality), and major brands. (I admit this isn't all that surprising to me, though. I have said for a long time that the average London taxi driver knows more about US politics than most American citizens.)


3) Because of the temperate climate, most apartments and even many houses in Sydney have neither central AC nor heat (radiators or otherwise). Somehow, they are built in a way to keep apartments cool in the summer, and ahem, cool in the winter. Good gracious, it's cold in my flat. I think the temperature is actually lower in the flat than it is outside. (I have my hardwood floors and big windows to thank for that.) Very strange....


So I am now plotting my next trips. Perhaps a trip up north to Queensland where it's warmer. But I do hear that New Zealand is gorgeous in the winter, and very cold, especially the South island. And I am not sure I can pass that up.


Brrrr...back under my blanket for me!
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I love your posts! It sounds like the weather in Sydney is like San Francisco!
    -Dunleavy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, sounds just like SF!!! Do you need a space heater?
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete